?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Alas, Alas for you, Lawyers and Pharisees - $blog = int(rand(@thoughts));

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Links
Glamguns
Amazon.com
Quit Smoking Calculator
LOLTheist (May be offensive)
Amusing Childfree Saying
Today's Office Dare

**(RSS Feed)**

July 9th, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
06:01 am - Alas, Alas for you, Lawyers and Pharisees
[Disclaimer: This is not an amusing and entertaining entry, but one I felt I had to write out of anger and sorrow. Feel free to skip. Additionally, this is one of those "if the shoe fits" sorts of things. I do understand that there do exist actual Christians. This letter is to the ones who seem to have forgotten what that means.]



Dear "Christians:"

It seems that some of you have forgotten what "Christian" means. It implies that you are a follower of Christ and his teachings. Now, I do understand that men and priests and churches have made his teachings seem pretty complicated. They've taken the Old Testament stuff and mixed it with the New Testament stuff where it suits their purposes, and have pretty much forgotten what, at heart, Christ said to do.

Each person, with his or her own prejudices, has cherry-picked the Bible for stuff that suits their fears and hates and petty bigotries and have bound it all up into organized religions.

So here's a little reminder, from the Christian Bible, King James Version, Matthew 22:36-40:

(The lawyer said to Jesus,) "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.


Let me reiterate that: "ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS hang ALL the law and the prophets."

Love God.

Love thy neighbour.


Period.

In case that's not simple enough, let me give some examples:

You do not make war on those you love: you try to work things out.

You do not deny basic things (like the right to marry and have a family) to those you love.

You do not pass judgement and heap scorn upon those you love because you don't understand their lifestyle.

You do not steal from those you love. You do not withhold food and shelter and medical care. You do not whisper epithets at them in the streets, and you do not snigger at how much better you are than they in your dining rooms at night.

This, it would seem to me, is all basic common sense. But either some of you are so dysfunctional you have no idea what it means to love, or your fear and hate has overcome your common sense so that you have no ability to love.

Before the next time you say "I'm a Christian," I'd like to invite you to re-read what Christ, the man you purport to follow, actually said. Not what the Old Testament said. Not even what Paul said after Christ was gone. What Christ, himself, said in that Bible that you seem to hold so sacred.

If I could trademark the word "Christian" like the association of REALTORS™ has trademarked the term "REALTOR™" I would deny its use to a lot of you.

You call yourselves "followers of Christ" and ignore the most important things that Christ attempted to teach you.

You have made "Christian" into a synonym for bigotry, intolerance, and hate.

For shame.

In closing, I'd like to remind you of Matthew 25:40: "...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Think about all the things you've done to your Lord lately. Think He's happy about it?

Sincerely,

MrsVeteran



And no, this doesn't mean that I don't still think LOLTheist.com is hilarious.

ETA: Two theater-geek points for you if you can tell me where the title of this entry came from.

(8 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:diachrony
Date:July 10th, 2007 01:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
This post wasn't here earlier today. Did you backdate or is LJ being funky as usual lately?

"Godspell." What do I do with my points?

Anyhoo, a lot of the Xtians you are talking about are *proud* of being Old Testament followers. They aren't really Christians, they're Jehovites, but of course still call themselves Christian even though it doesn't make much sense.

I think this form of "Christianity" is also called Dominionist. And they're *proud* of being intolerant (because we're *supposed* to be intolerant of sin, and in fact it's a sin to tolerate sin) and of being haters (same reason).

They consider non-bigoted, tolerant, non-hating Christians to NOT be "real" Christians at all, but misled servants of Satan.

(I feel like I should be wearing a button that says "Ask me how I know!" Hee. Anyway, because I grew up in this sort of church. Though after the founder died, it softened up a bit, which led to lots of people leaving to start even cultier branches because the original wasn't hate-filled enough to suit them. And when I say it softened a bit, I mean it's still a fundie cult.)
[User Picture]
From:mrsveteran
Date:July 10th, 2007 01:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
You can save up your points for a free toy surprise.

And, yes, I know. I still just don't understand how they can call themselves "Christians" and ignore so much of what Christ said. It's like, the whole POINT of Christ was to pretty much invalidate most of the law of the Old Testament and say, "Hey, guess what? You don't need to do all this stuff anymore!"

Grr.

No, I posted it early this morning with no cut. Then I privated it, and thought about it some more, and decided to put it behind a cut because it was so long and re-posted it.

Not LJ's fault this time. :-)
[User Picture]
From:diachrony
Date:July 10th, 2007 02:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
Here's some fun in case you haven't yet had the pleasure ...

Kissing Hank's Ass (a classic!) and other stories (check sidebar under "More Stuff to Read and Do") at jhuger.com.

Fundies Say the Darndest Things.
[User Picture]
From:photog42
Date:July 10th, 2007 03:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
I used to eat tofu wieners...
[User Picture]
From:mrsveteran
Date:July 10th, 2007 09:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, is THAT what they're calling it now?
[User Picture]
From:blackbirdshaq
Date:July 10th, 2007 08:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
But either some of you are so dysfunctional you have no idea what it means to love, or your fear and hate has overcome your common sense so that you have no ability to love.

I think you've hit the nail on the head right there. It's either one or the other with these folks. True Love is rarely taught... anywhere.

Before the next time you say "I'm a Christian," I'd like to invite you to re-read what Christ, the man you purport to follow, actually said. Not what the Old Testament said. Not even what Paul said after Christ was gone.

THANK YOU. When people ask me why I'm still a Christian, even with all the bullshit I put up with all my life and with how liberal I am now, I tell them it's because, with all my heart, I am still a follower of CHRIST. He's the one I follow. Not those bastards who make church by-laws and come up with denominations and tell people they aren't loved because they don't measure up to some impossible standard that even GOD didn't ascribe to us.

*huffs*

So... first Histy read my diary, and now YOU. Wassup wit dat?
[User Picture]
From:mrsveteran
Date:July 10th, 2007 09:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Christ had a pretty simple message, really.

I saw someone's sig once that said "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians: they are not much like your Christ" and attributed it to Gandhi. I don't know if Gandhi really said that or not, but whoever said it sure said a mouthful.

Well, hey, if you just leave your diary lying around ...
[User Picture]
From:histygirl
Date:July 11th, 2007 06:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
This former fundy thanks you for voicing many of the reasons why i'm no longer a fundy.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com